Our community programs are for everyone, not just patients. Health screenings, support groups, education and so much more.
COME ONE, COME ALL
- Better Breathers Club: Taking care of your emotional health is a key part of managing your COPD or other lung disease. The Better Breathers Club, an initiative of the American Lung Association, is offered at Baum Senior Center as a place to share your thoughts with others who understand what you are going through. Family members and caregivers are also welcome to join. Meetings take place the third Monday of every month. Visit our Events page for times, location and to register.
- Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation Education: Cardiopulmonary Rehab helps patients to regain their physical strength and their confidence by encouraging them to maintain an activity program and achieve a healthy lifestyle. One of the ways patients achieve this is through the FREE and informative classes offered by members of the Cardiopulmonary Rehab Staff and The Outer Banks Hospital Staff. A series of rotating weekly classes, offered on a quarterly basis, cover a broad range of topics that are designed to help cardiac and pulmonary patients, as well as community members, learn to live a healthy lifestyle. Visit our Events page for times, location and to register.
- Chair Yoga: A lack of activity can lead to weak muscles and limited range of motion. Beginning an exercise program, like yoga, can help to break the cycle. Chair Yoga is a very gentle form of yoga that is designed to increase flexibility, strength, balance, and circulation. That’s why The Outer Banks Hospital and the Hands of Hope Program offer free chair yoga classes. Visit our Events page for times, location and to register.
- Dinner with a Doc: Periodically throughout the year, we’ll host a dinner at a local restaurant where community members have the opportunity to meet a local physician and ask questions about his or her specialty. Visit our Events page for dates & times, locations and to register for a dinner.
- Free Flu Vaccines: We want you to protect yourself and those around you by getting your flu shot. The Outer Banks Hospital offers free flu clinics from September – November. Visit our Events page for times, location and to register.
- Cancer Conversations (formerly called Lunch and Learn): Through our partnership with UNC Chapel Hill, we offer lunch time seminars (including lunch of course!) on cancer topics that focus on prevention, coping skills, and even new research findings. These live events are interactively televised from UNC so that participants have the opportunity to engage with and ask questions of the presenter. Visit our Events page for dates and times, location, and to register for the event.
- Wellness Camp: Designed for men and women of all skill levels, OBH Wellness Camp is a FREE 4-week camp offered multiple times throughout the spring and summer. The camp is typically held on the beautiful beaches of the Outer Banks and features yoga, light pilates, and a variety of light exercises, stretching and meditation. Practice something new or hone your skills at OBH Wellness Camp! Located at the Ocean Bay Boulevard beach access near MP 8 (across from the Colington Road intersection.) Bring a yoga mat or towel, sunscreen and water. Since these events are free, please consider bringing a monetary donation or non-perishable food. All donations will benefit the Beach Food Pantry. Visit our Events page for times, location and to register.
- Wellness Screens: One way to stay on top of your health is with an annual wellness check-up. That’s why The Outer Banks Hospital offers free wellness screenings throughout the year. Learn more.
What’s the big idea behind our wellness bus? It’s simple, really: We believe that preventative medicine is just as important for staying healthy as seeking care when something’s wrong. So instead of waiting for you to come to us, we’re coming to you. Learn more.