OUTER BANKS HOSPITAL DEVELOPMENT COUNCIL A FOUNDATION TO FIGHT CANCER.
When we formed the Outer Banks Hospital Development Council in 2005, cancer services across our region were fragmented — and we wanted to do something about it. Our solution? Establish a single location where families in our community could turn for cancer information and support.
CREATING THE CANCER RESOURCE CENTER.
After identifying an unfinished office space in the Medical Office Building next to the hospital, our vision for a Cancer Resource Center was set in motion. Starting in 2006, we estimated it would take five years to raise the $250,000 we needed to build out the space, but the community’s response was unprecedented. We opened the Cancer Resource Center in just two years.
HELP US EXPAND AWARENESS AND EARLY DETECTION.
Since our council’s inception — and with the help of our generous donors — we’ve underwritten the following programs and more to expand cancer care on the Outer Banks:
- The Health Coach, a 39’ Winnebago bringing vital health screenings at no charge to the community
- Get Pinked! – raising funds to improve breast health on the Outer Banks
- Get Pinked! And More – raising funds for cancers other than breast
- Lymphedema Therapy – to reduce swelling in areas affected by cancer treatment
- The lease of stereotactic breast biopsy equipment
- Purchase of an ultrasound machine to detect breast and other cancers
- Purchase of a hematology analyzer to detect malignant processes in the body
- Construction of a chemotherapy mixing room at The Outer Banks Hospital
Today, we’re working to increase awareness of — and access to screenings for — more types of cancer. The hospital’s recent Lung Cancer Screening program is just one recent example, but we need to do more. We’re committed to making early detection top of mind in our community as the best protection against cancer. With your support, we can.
DONATE ANY AMOUNT, ANY WAY YOU WANT.
The OBH Development Council accepts contributions of any amount, at any time. In just a few minutes you can help us improve the health of our community by making a donation.
You can also contact the OBH Director of Development at 252-449-5933 if you’re interested in exploring other ways to give, such as:
- Annual gifts
- In memory of and in honor of gifts
- Planned estate giving
- Participation in or help with a special event
Thank you for all you do.
Meet our members.
Pictured left to right, seated: Roberta Graham; Cindy Thornsvard, Vice Chair; Tess Judge, Chair; Linda Palombo, Nominating Committee Chair; Marie Neilson.
Pictured left to right, standing: Myra Ladd-Bone; Sandy Martin; Lyndsey Hornock, Program Assistant for Outreach and Marketing, The Outer Banks Hospital; Richard Bruce; Jay Briley, President, Vidant Community Hospitals; Mike Waldrum, Chief Executive Offi cer, Vidant Health; Ronnie Sloan, President, The Outer Banks Hospital; Jennifer Schwartzenberg, Director of Community Outreach and Development, The Outer Banks Hospital.
Missing from the photo: Tim Cafferty, Treasurer; Rick Loesch; Natalie McIntosh; Amy Montgomery, Senior Administrator, Operations, The Outer Banks Hospital