Do you have pain between your eyes that won’t go away? Perhaps your ears feel full? Are constant headaches a norm these days? Are you unable to taste the food you eat?
You might be experiencing sinus problems!
Sinus problems can cause uncomfortable symptoms. A constantly runny nose, trouble sleeping at night or losing your sense of smell might occur. Other symptoms can include:
- Nasal congestion
- Fullness in ears
- Inability to taste food
- Frequent headaches
- Facial pain
Causes of Sinus Congestion
- Viral sinusitis: Part of the common cold.
- Bacterial sinusitis: A complication where viral sinusitis becomes secondarily infected with bacteria.
- Allergic sinusitis: Sinus congestion that commonly occurs with nasal allergies (e.g., from pollens). Associated sneezing, itchy nose and clear nasal discharge point to this cause.
Treatment of Sinusitis
- Viral sinusitis: Nasal washes with saline. (Antibiotics are not helpful.)
- Bacterial sinusitis: Oral antibiotics.
- Allergic sinusitis: Treatment of the nasal allergy with antihistamines.
If your symptoms last longer than two weeks, you should schedule an appointment with Anthony Jackson, MD, otolaryngologist, Outer Banks Ear, Nose & Throat, 252-449-5760. He can prescribe medication to alleviate the pain, order an X-ray or a CAT scan, or possibly recommend surgery.