For Immediate Release
August 9, 2019
Contact: Jennifer Schwartzenberg, Director, Community Outreach & Development,
The Outer Banks Hospital, 252-449-5933
The Outer Banks Hospital is pleased to announce the recipients of the 2019-2020 Community Benefit Grants Program. Grants are awarded for projects that will significantly increase access to healthcare and financial resources in our community for nearly 9,200 individuals in need. The grants listed below equal $135,000 in support of local organizations that will provide services to meet a variety of community needs this coming year.
- Beach Food Pantry – Summer Food for Kids Program and access to nutritious meals and snacks throughout the year for Dare County children
- Children & Youth Partnership for Dare County – Mindfulness-based wellness programs for students at Manteo Middle School and additional Dare County Schools
- Community Care Clinic of Dare – Medical care for uninsured/low income patients
- Dare County Arts Council – Art therapy program for individuals affected by cancer including patients, family members, and caregivers
- Dare County Health Department’s Breaking Through Task Force – Public awareness and education campaign to reduce the stigma related to behavioral health
- Dare County Health Department’s Women’s Health Programs – Prenatal ultrasounds and Breast Cancer diagnostics for under-served woman in Dare County
- Dare County Transportation – Transportation of patients to medical care appointments
- Hyde County Non-Profit Private Transportation Corporation – Transportation of patients to medical care appointments on the Outer Banks
Interfaith Community Outreach – Medical assistance and crisis intervention
NC MedAssist – Free pharmacy services shipped directly to patients’ homes
Funds are generously provided by the Vidant Health, with support from The Outer Banks Hospital’s Development Council and Chesapeake Regional Healthcare. Since 2006, The Outer Banks Hospital has granted $1,579,840 to organizations, of which over $1.3 million of the funding has come from Vidant Health.
The Outer Banks Hospital, located in Nags Head, North Carolina, offers a wide range of inpatient and outpatient services. A joint venture between Vidant Health and Chesapeake Regional Healthcare, the hospital opened in March 2002. The hospital’s mission is to enhance the quality of life for the residents and visitors of Dare County and the surrounding region by promoting wellness and providing the highest quality healthcare services. For more information, visit www.theouterbankshospital.com.
Pictured Above (L-R): Jenniffer Albanese, Interfaith Community Outreach; Sheila Kidwell, NC MedAssist; Dr. Sheena Fuller, Children & Youth Partnership for Dare County; Chris Sawin, Dare County Arts Council; Richard Bruce, Chair, Community Benefit Grants Committee; Tami Montiel, Community Care Clinic of Dare; Kelly Nettnin, Dare County Health Department; Elisabeth Silverthorne, Beach Food Pantry; Debbie Dutton, Dare County Health Department; Tess Judge, Chair, Outer Banks Hospital Development Council; Kahla Hall, Vidant Health Foundation; Linda Palombo, Member, Community Benefit Grants Committee; Beverly Paul, Hyde County Non-Profit Private Transportation Corporation; Natalie McIntosh, Member, Community Benefit Grants Committee; Tim McKeithan, Member, Community Benefit Grants Committee; and Jennifer Schwartzenberg, The Outer Banks Hospital. Grant Recipient Not Pictured: Dare County Transportation